At Halfway Junior School we follow the National Curriculum, a course of study decided by the Department for Education. Click here for a link to National Curriculum guidelines we follow.
Our curriculum has been re-designed to reflect our increasing numbers and change in school structure. As a staff we have worked collaboratively to ensure that our core values and school vision are reflected within our curriculum design and intent.
Our curriculum is designed to:
• Engage, excite and challenge.
• Be broad and balanced.
• Show progress of skills across the Key Stage.
• Reflect the needs and interests of the children we teach.
• Has the (unknown) future in mind.
• Broadens horizons, informs and equips children for the wider world.
• Support emotional and social wellbeing.
• Develop short and long-term memory so our learning becomes embedded.
• Develop Culture & Science Capital.
• Lead children on an aspirational journey
We teach our curriculum through a cross-curricular topic approach. Skills and knowledge have been designed to be re-visited and built upon across the Key Stage to ensure our children leave us Key Stage 3 ready in every aspect of the National Curriculum.
In order to help families support learning we send home Curriculum Newsletters which share the learning journey your child will go on in every subject over the term, as well as Knowledge Organisers which break down the key knowledge that will be taught in the topic.
Click here to download the latest Curriculum Newsletters and Knowledge Organisers.
At Halfway Junior School we use the Sheffield SACRE document to support our teaching of RE. Each half term we have an RE week, where each year group studies the same faith, but with a different focus, ensuring that RE knowledge and skills are progressive across KS2.
If you would like to find out more about our curriculum please speak to your child’s class teacher.